It was 4:45 am when I stepped outside the hotel to wait for our van. It was the dead of the night. I looked up and saw an amazing blanket of stars. I quickly realized that it was dawn, for I heard the call to prayer for the Fajr prayer. Somehow it was very comforting to hear a reminder of home so far away. Throughout the trip I felt very comfortable. Not once did I feel out of my element despite experiencing very new things everyday. 

We made our way to Horton’s Plains the reserve where World’s End is. We headed off with Gamini and his friend and when we arrived we were greeted by deer on either side of the road. And once again I managed to startle and be startled by an animal once again!  We also so wild boar (so cute, he was a baby), we also saw eagles and other birds, lizards, frogs…etc. 

The trail took us about four hours and had three major stops, Mini World’s End, Greater World’s End, and Baker Falls. We saw them in that order and we were not disappointed. We stopped at the edge of cliffs where the ground fell and looked out at the world below. We saw mist roll in and obstruct our view. It obligingly rolled out too. The mist looked like a cloud coming down to kiss the earth it was beautiful. The falls were loud, majestic and absorbing. We sat in silence as we watched water fall over rock for 20 min at least. 

What I really liked about our walk was that Gamini joined us. When we told him it wasn’t necessary for him to join us he told us he had lived in the area for nearly 35 years and had never visited! I was so thrilled that he was with us. I really believe the saying “It take a foreigner to show you your own country.”

After we were done we needed to drive to the coast, a six maybe seven hour drive. It took us nine! Our driver wanting to be helpful decided to take a short cut, which we joking later called the long cut, as we drove through winding, hilly dry country from village to village looking for the right one. When we finally were no longer lost, the men treated us to some King Coconut juice at the side of the road fresh from the coconut.

We finally arrived at Unawatuna, exhausted, sleepy and hungry. We had made it to the Indian Ocean. I walked in, ate and awoke the next day to the sound of the surf.